Culture is the sum of the behaviours, stories, symbols, systems and processes that people display and experience in their transactions with others.
While culture can often feel positive in the early days it can morph, without anyone intending it into something less pleasant and less effective as an organisation grows.
Yet culture is not something that can be controlled with precision. Careful attention can reveal the patterns that drive the beliefs, feelings and behaviours prevalent in an organisation. A considered and deliberate approach can create the conditions for a culture to evolve in positive ways, if not always entirely predictably.
We help organisations devise and deploy a masterplan to consciously shift and stabilise their culture.
Our culture change programmes are designed in collaboration with the leadership teams of organisations that:
- Struggle to retain or engage staff
- Have experienced rapid growth but at a human cost
- Want a happy, motivated workforce that take responsibility
- Have experienced a merger or restructure
Our culture change programmes are by definition bespoke. They require us to work closely with leadership to support them in shaping the change. They must own and do the work. It cannot be done for you.
1. Understand how people are currently experiencing the culture so we help leaders uncover the stories told by those who do the work.
2. Define a coherent and relevant narrative for a desired future.
3. Devise a masterplan that encompasses behaviours, narratives, symbols, systems and processes across the organisation.
4. Work with individual leaders to bring the plan to life, helping them manage their behaviours and shaping team projects to reshape processes.
Leaders have more influence over an organisation’s culture than anyone else. The behaviours they model, they words they use and the symbols they create set the tone for everyone else.
As an organisation grows it introduces processes to manage the work, measure outputs and service its people. Those process can drive behaviours and set expectation in unanticipated and unhelpful ways.
As a community of people expands it gets harder to maintain a shared understanding or to hear individuals.
It is these things we aim to use and address in a master plan for culture change. Masterplans are complex and messy and are designed to persist through ambiguity and uncertainty. They require leaders to own and drive the work, predicting outcomes, reviewing results, and modifying what they do as they gradually make the shift happen.
While we can recommend and codesign we cannot do the work for you. Culture change is personally challenging for leadership teams, it is also a hugely rich empowering learning experience.
We deliver culture change masterplans around the world with our partners Advanced Dynamics based in Australia.